Site Reliability Engineer
We are hiring a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to work on our video streaming platform StreamShark.io.
StreamShark is a full-stack, end-to-end live streaming service trusted daily by high profile (Billion Dollar Brands, VIPs & Fortune 500) companies for flawlessly delivering their internal (confidential) live streams such as Town Halls and All Hands meetings to employees. Built for repeatable streaming success, our platform is architected with unparalleled reliability and scalability, and can also deliver (white-labelled) large-scale live streams of confidential and public events as well as seamlessly syndicating to popular social destinations and VR headsets!
On the backend, StreamShark uses Java, JDO, Servlets/Restlets, Wowza Engine, FFmpeg and Google App Engine for Java to develop a high performance, fault tolerant and efficient live and on-demand streaming service.
You will work with our infrastructure/devops stack, which consists of self managed Virtual Machines (VM), controlled via Ansible and running at scale across Google (GCP) and Amazon (EC2) Cloud(s). VMs are running StreamShark written components and services, as well as customised 3rd party services such as HAProxy, Varnish, and Wowza Streaming Engine. Cloud managed services include Google App Engine, Cloud SQL, Google Firestore/Datastore, Amazon S3 & Cloudfront, and Fastly CDN.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensure our VMs, cloud systems, software and databases are highly available and performing optimally in an environment where 24/7 up-time is critical.
- Analyze, troubleshoot and diagnose application and networking issues.
- Be passionate & proactive in identifying opportunities for consolidation, inventorizing and automation.
- Create internal dashboards and visualizations to create greater visibility into the health and utilisation of our current infrastructure,
- Work closely with the development team to improve processes around change, patch and release management in accordance with our ISMS.
- Directly interface with and support major enterprise clients globally to help ensure contractual obligations around service delivery, reliability, product enhancements and support are met.
- Working with the wider development team on testing, compatibility and performance of all customer and end-user interfaces across all target devices (desktop/mobile/VR) and supported browsers.
- Working with our Continuous Integration (CI) environment to ensure integrity of the system.
- Working with optimising our existing architecture, identifying risks and optimisation opportunities via consolidation, containerization or serverless approaches to drive efficiencies and reduce infrastructure costs.
To be considered for this position, you must meet the following criteria:
- Solid experience in scripting (e.g. Bash or Python) and Linux System Administration.
- Hands-on experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud and their related compute services.
- Experience with configuration management (CM) and deployment tools such as Ansible or Puppet.
- Experience with Containerization tools (Docker, Kubernetes etc.)
- Experience with a modern version control system such as Git or Mercurial, and building/packaging/shipping software under UNIX operating systems.
- Continuous Integration (CI) experience.
- Be able to work on a flexible daily schedule, including early starts when required.
- You are required to be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or possess an appropriate Visa that grants permission to work legally in Australia.
- Building internal dashboard or visualisations with common stacks such as InfuxDB/Grafana, Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana (ELK), or equivalent.
- Hands-on experience with any Cloud Services such as S3, CloudFront, EC2, Route 53, Lambda, API Gateway, SNS, SES, etc, or equivalent.
- Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent IT degree.
- Interest in understanding live and on-demand streaming of video, and the associated software tools, video encoders and workflows.
- Interest in understanding of how streaming media works on the internet, including HLS, DASH, DNS, TCP and HTTP(S) protocols.
- Experience in an ISP or Telco environment, specifically working with and developing billing, provisioning and customer maintenance applications.
- Experience with scalable distributed systems.
- Competitive base salary + super.
- Employee share scheme.
- Bonus pool based on team performance targets.
- Monthly phone allowance.
- Brand new Mac, Desktop or Portable provided.
- Access to an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) which offers strictly confidential counselling sessions to staff, be it for personal or professional matters.
Our specialty is streaming large, high profile events that simply cannot fail. From All Hands, AGMs, product announcements and everything in between – we are trusted with streaming the live events of some of the largest, high profile companies, brands and VIPs in the world. They depend on StreamShark’s expertise, and leverage our operator friendly workflows and redundant delivery infrastructure to give their audiences an exceptional viewing experience.
The StreamShark platform is a turn-key integrated solution (monetized as a SaaS subscription + Pro Services) targeted at Enterprise unified communication and marketing teams for streaming video from source to play-out (and everything in between). StreamShark consolidates multiple services, automates time consuming and error prone manual processes, and delivers deep, actionable insights for our customers into how video content is consumed within their organization.
As the StreamShark team is small, you will gain experience in a range of areas you wouldn’t normally be exposed to and any work you do will be integral to the product.
We pride ourselves on being upon the bleeding edge of technology and keeping up with the latest in technical developments. This means you’ll get to experiment with a range of new technology, especially in the video encoding, consuming and virtual reality spaces.
We are a tight-knit and social team with most staff members being at the company for 5+ years.
Our office was based in a friendly co-working space located in the heart of the Melbourne CBD. For now – we are 100% remote.
To apply for this position, email email@example.com with your resume/cover letter.